Sunday, March 16, 2014

January 26 - from Pio Duran

So this week was interesting. We had meetings on Tuesday at Ligao (2 hours by Jeepney) so we didn't proselyte, and we had a meeting just for the trainees in Legazpi. (4 hours by Jeepney) The morning of the trainee meeting, we woke up at 3 in the morning, and while we were waiting for a Jeepney, I had a pretty intense pain in my stomach. It was relieved when I ran inside and used the CR. (comfort room. I think the Filipinos call the bathroom that because of American soldiers during WW2, but I'm not sure) It was apparent to me that I had LBM, but I really wanted to go to this training. I was fine during the trip and didn't have a problem until the meeting had already started. I realized that I was fevering, and then later realized that my fingers and toes were taking turns going numb. I told the mission presidents wife about my condition, and she sent me and my companion to the hospital.

A lot happened while I was in the hospital, but the important bit is that I was taken well care of, and I'm better now.

While in the hospital, I remembered a youth leader that I had who talked about trials. He had a knee that plagued him constantly earlier in his life. He talked about waking up, and getting on an exercise bike in order to loosen up the muscles in his leg enough to walk on it, and how excruciating that ride was. He talked about how he thanked the Lord every day for that trial, because those trials help us grow, even if they may be uncomfortable. I know that that is true, and that God will give us the strength to endure if we thank him in our prayers and constantly pray to him. D&C 10:5 was particularly important in remembering those things.

I am working on that in my day to day life as well, to thank Him for my trials. I know that trials are an important part of our existence here on earth, and that God gives them to us because he loves us.

Elder English

***Some clarification from Ethan's Mom.  The more detailed explanation is that Ethan ended up with an intestinal parasite that made him so sick that he became dehydrated and spent 3 days in the hospital in Legaspi.  I am very grateful that he got sick on a day that he was heading to Legaspi, there are no hospitals, per se, in the place he is right now and it is a good four hour ride on public transportation to get to a decent hospital.  I am glad he is healthy now and kind of glad I didn't learn about all of this until it was all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment