Sunday, March 16, 2014

February 16, 2014 - From Pio Duran

***Ethan's Mom Here.  Ethan and I are often able to coordinate the time we are on the internet and have lovely back and forth conversations.  Some of the most interesting things he writes are in some of these exchanges.  I will share some of these with my comments denoted by three asterisks

We actually had three baptisms this last Saturday. Technically none of them were our investigators, but all four missionaries go out to baptisms when they happen. I only baptized because Jessa requested that I perform the ordinance. I'm not exactly sure why, I only taught those three siblings twice, but I was honored to have her ask me to baptize her.

***They look very young, how old are they?

Jessa is 13, Hazel, the other girl, is 12, and Aaron James is 9. They all have really powerful testimonies, and the other companionship is working on getting their parents to sit down for lessons, but they're really busy.

***So their parents aren't members? How did they come to be interested in the Gospel?

Elder Carpio and Elder Surio found them. They were tracting, and the parents happened to be home, and they weren't all that interested, but the children requested that the missionaries come back.

***Tell me about teaching them the lessons that you were involved with.

Um, the first lesson I got to sit in on was the Word of Wisdom. Elder Nierves explained the don'ts, and I helped explain the things that God has ordained for the use of man. One of the kids asked why we shouldn't partake of those things, and Elder Nierves deferred to me, since we'd been talking about that exact question on the way to the appointment. I explained that many people try to come up with reasons for why those things are harmful for us, but the most basic reason is that we don't know why, only that God has commanded us not to, and anything that God commands is right.


The other lesson I don't remember as well. We retaught scripture study and prayer. At that point, they'd already had all the lessons they needed to be baptized, but they needed four weeks of church attendance in order to be baptized, and they missed a week at some point, so they were waiting. We talked about the reasons we pray and read scriptures, and the great miracle that is prayer.

This last Sunday, I had the opportunity to confirm Aaron James, a recent baptism of Elder Nierves and Elder Rennaker, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and with that came the gift of the Holy Ghost. During the blessing that followed, I could feel the Spirit. I could feel his guidance in the words I said. It came out in a muddled mess of English and Tagalog, and there were several pauses where nothing was said, but I know it was what I needed to say. It was such a powerful experience. If that's what's it's like every time a confirmation is done, I can see why it's called "baptism by fire."

***I love you, you crazy kid.  Keep spreading the good news.

Hahaha, okay mama. Love you. Magpapatuloy ako! (I will continue!)

Four Elders with Jessa (13) Aaron James (9) and Hazel (12)


With their Family
Baptizing Jessa


No comments:

Post a Comment