Sunday, March 16, 2014

March 2, 2014 - From Pio Duran

Family- I got a letter full of cards on Thursday! Thank you all so much. I love the drawings and the messages in them. I keep them next to my bed so that when I write my journal at night, I can pull them out and look at the handiwork of my family. After seeing some missionaries that don't have the support of their families, it makes me all the more appreciative of a family who does support me and expresses that support. Thank you.

General- This week has been a roller coaster of a week. On Thursday, we had a Mission Tour, where Elder Ardern, a member of the Seventy, came and toured the mission home, was shown a few parts of the mission, and spoke to all the missionaries in the mission. The extent of my participation in the Mission Tour was listening to him speak, but it was a powerful and enlightening experience. 

In terms of proselyting, it was both an up and down week. One family that we thought had a lot of potential has started hiding when we come around. People in the Philippines are too nice to tell you they aren't interested anymore, so they hide instead. Unless something drastic changes, we're going to have to drop them from our teaching pool. That actually really bothered me, until I read a quote by Gordon B. Hinckley: "There's no compulsion in the work of the Lord, but there must be opportunity.

On the flip side, a new finding of ours, the Nicos family, accepted a baptismal invitation, and we've scheduled them for April 5. They specified that if they got to that date, and didn't feel ready, that they wouldn't be baptized. We assured them that of course the most important thing is that they're prepared, but that it's also important for them to have a date in order to realize that becoming prepared should be a priority. Definitely a wonderful experience.

As members, a lot of times we share the gospel once, are rejected, and then get discouraged and figure our job is over. While sometimes being rejected is frustrating, we need to acknowledge others' agency. At the same time, however, we owe it to those around us to share the good news. The introduction of the Book of Mormon states that its purpose is to "tell men what they must do to gain peace in this life" among other things. If that's true, then why wouldn't we share that with others? I know that while I've been out here trying to spread the good news, there have been discouragements, but as I've prayed for opportunities to find those who have been prepared, God has showed me where I need to go and what I need to do. I know that the same applies to members of Christ's church who are trying to spread His word.

With his beautiful wind blown hair, the missionary takes the obligatory selfie!


Gorgeous rice patty



3-Mount Mayon. Still just amazing to look at.


Dangling feet off the Jeepney.



Misc. toploading views




Moar selfies!



That is a jeepney, packed full of people. Elder Rennaker's first comment: They could probably fit another dozen people onto that Jeepney. His estimate was probably a little bit low.



No comments:

Post a Comment