Monday, July 27, 2015

They Grow Up So Fast

From January 25

This week was a good one. We mostly focused on teaching part member families, and asking if we could teach the nonmembers in part member families who we aren't currently teaching. Families can only be united for eternity in the temple if they're first united in the faith. I'm hoping that the people we teach will come to understand the fulfillment found in the gospel, just like their families have.
At the end of the week, we had a District Conference, which was held in Tabaco. Because of the distance, some of those we teach weren't able to attend, but it meant that several of the men in the branch had the opportunity to be interviewed to receive the Melchizedek Priesthood. One of those was Brother Reuben, our recent convert. It surprised me how quickly that happened for him, and at first I was worried the branch was jumping the gun, but as we discussed the Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood with him, I realized that he's ready. He was interviewed and found worthy to receive the Melchizedek Priesthood, and after the Conference itself ended, he had upon him conferred the Melchizedek Preisthood, and ordained to the office of an Elder. Both he and his wife, Rochelle have amazed me with how quickly they have progressed in the Gospel and how well they have fitted into the Branch. I've enjoyed an inexpressible fulfillment as I've watched them learn and come to understand how satisfying it is to know the answers that the Gospel offers us. I love being a missionary, and every rejection and difficulty I've experienced as a missionary has been worth being a part in the conversion of God's elect. I'm looking forward to what the rest of my mission has in store for me.
Love,
Elder English


This is a little shop across the street from our apartment, but the people who own it live out of said shop. They fit three adults and one toddler into the space roughly equivalent to one of the bathrooms back home. Oh, and their kitchen is the back half. They recently made it smaller on purpose, which was a decision that I really don't understand. The expectations and perception of living conditions here and back home are so very very different, it blows my mind sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment