Sunday, December 1, 2013

Elder English - Nov. 30, 2013

Wow. It's been over a week. Not gonna lie, this last week has gone by really slow. Not sure if that's just the Lord stretching out the time I have so that I'm prepared before I hit the Philippines or if that's just my perception, but man does time seem to be going slowly. I guess I can't complain though because I feel like I'm blazing through this language. My vocabulary is starting to flesh itself out, and I can say prayers, bear my testimony, invite someone to prepare to be baptized, get to know people (to a point) and a lot of other things. I know how to simply conjugate verbs and a lot of other stuff I can't think of right now. I think all that praying for ng koloob ng mga wika (the gift of tongues) is seriously paying off. Now I just need to get to the point where I can consistently understand my investigators...

Speaking of investigators, We've had three more lessons with Brother Ricky since I last wrote. They went so so so well. During all three I could feel the Spirit. I don't think hardly anything we said was grammatically correct, and even as is it was barely intelligible, but I know that we taught by the Spirit, and the Spirit can breach barriers that I know I can't. Wednesday was our last meeting with Brother Ricky, though we will have other investigators. I know that Brother Ricky was a role being played, but I had grown to love Brother Ricky. I found myself tearing up during the closing prayer of our last lesson. I'm going to miss him. 

Oh, and another tidbit about the investigators we have. Every investigator is played by a Return Missionary, and ever RM chooses an investigator that they themselves had, and takes on their personality, habits, and lifestyle during our lessons. I found that really cool, like we are learning to get to know and love the Filipinos even before we fly out of country.

Last Saturday, after writing I had the opportunity to attend a session in the Temple. It was a bitter sweet experience, because it would be my first and last opportunity while at the MTC, because the temple is closing for renovations. I've also heard whisperings that if you don't have a temple in your mission (which I don't) then you don't get to attend temple sessions in the field either. Not sure whether that's true or not. Guess I'll find out! The temple itself is such a wonderful place. Each time I've gone through, I've learned and felt so much. I really hope I don't have to wait two years to go again.

Last Sunday we had some great services, but the highlight of the day was after all the services were over, a screening of the talk The Character of Christ by Elder David A. Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles was offered. The talk was originally given in the MTC on a Christmas Sabbath. He started by saying that he didn't mind if we didn't remember anything that was said that night, but he hoped that we would never forget how we felt. I definitely will never forget how his talk made me feel, and I highly doubt that I'll forget what he said too. He also said that if that day had been just any Christmas, he would have opened the meeting up for a Q and A, but since it was the Sabbath and they'd partaken of the sacrament, such a meeting was not fitting. Every time I think of that sentence, I think "what a waste that would have been." I know that a Q and A from an apostle isn't a waste in and of itself, but the words he offered in that talk made up one of the most profound spiritual feasts I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying. I wouldn't be able to do the talk justice, but I encourage you to watch it. It has a lot of beautiful insights into the life of Christ.

On Tuesday they had an evening devotional, and the key speaker was Elder Teh of the Quorum of the Seventy who is from the Philippines. He had all those who were going to serve in the Philippines to stand up, which was really cool. Elder Teh spoke about Ammon, and his extreme focus while on his mission. Ammon turned down the kingdom of his father in order to go on a mission, and soon after arriving in the land of the Lamanites, he was offered one of King Lamoni's daughters, which would have made him heir to yet another kingdom. Ammon, however, knew what he was sent to do. He turned down the offer of yet another kingdom and asked to be a servant. If I am to be as successful as Ammon, I need to have that same focus and realize that serving a mission is about becoming a servant to the Lord, to my companion, and to the people of the Philippines. He also shared Alma 18:2, which contains the reaction of the people of King Lamoni to Ammon. It uses the words "exceedingly astonished" and they become certain that he is more than just a man. I know that if I have the focus of Ammon, I can draw the same response, and people will look at myself and my companion and say, "surely this is a servant of God."

Thanksgiving was amazing in here. We had Elder Nelson speak in the morning, which was really cool. We also had one Brother Foster who works for the Church Humanitarian services give a talk about the humanitarian services the Church offers and the importance of service. Normally, I find talks like that suspicious, because a lot of people that talk about service in that way don't actually offer all that much service. However, when we did a service project later that after noon making meals for Utahn children who don't have enough to eat over the weekend, his family ended up working at our station, and he was just a couple of tables over. It was really heartwarming seeing someone roll up their sleeves and bury themselves in the work along with everyone else. It really gave me a desire to visit Welfare Square in Salt Lake and inquire into giving service there when I'm back in school at Westminster. That evening they screened Ephraim's Rescue. If you're interested in pioneer stories at all, I highly recommend that one. It's amazing. Funny, heartwarming, and tear jerking. 

Lastly, I had the opportunity to check out FamilySearch.org. It was really cool to see my family tree so plainly set out. I love seeing Jedediah Morgan Grant in my family tree, and being able to trace my lineage to Heber J Grant, who I really look up to. I'm so thankful to those who did the family history work to make that possible. Also, I tried to find the line that goes farthest back, and it was through the Grant line that I found I am distantly related to King Henry I, William the Conqueror, and Vikings spanning back as far as 150AD. I love family history. 

Oh jeez, a single hour of email is not enough to relay all of the wonderful experiences I've had while here. I'm going to have to cut out the spiritual epiphanies I had yesterday, but I'll try to add them in some other week when I don't have so much to say.


I love you all. I hope you can feel God's love and know that he is watching out for you. Ingat!

No comments:

Post a Comment